For a good health and well-being, intake of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals is very important. The more you read and learn about nutrients, the more you come to know that having a diet rich in vegetables is imperative to inherit the nutrients required by the human body on a daily basis. A lot of vegetables are rich in potassium which is required for balancing the blood pressure. The essential vitamins such as A and C in many vegetables helps keep the gums, teeth, skin and eyes healthy and also battles infection. Also, the antioxidants in a lot of vegetables help prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, atherosclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.
Therefore, we have compiled a list of 5 such vegetables that have a greater nutritional punch than others and you can easily grow them in your garden:
- Broccoli: Broccoli is the popular member of the cruciferous vegetable family and counted among the world’s healthiest vegetables. This hearty vegetable is rich in dozens of nutrients and fiber content. Broccoli is a great choice for home gardens due to the presence of polyphenols which is proved to be helpful in the prevention of some degenerative diseases and certain cancers. It is said that every 100 grams of Broccoli contains 34 kcal and it is also packed with Calcium, Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
- Bell Peppers: Bell Peppers come in various colors such as yellow, green, orange and red. Bell peppers are loaded with dozens of necessary nutrients including the folic acid and Lycopene which is nine times higher in red peppers in comparison to others. Doctors have agreed to the miraculous powers of bell peppers to an extent that having a bell pepper each day can keep you away from doctors as it helps in lowering the risk of developing bladder, colon, lung and pancreatic cancers. Capsicum peppers are particularly known for the rich content of antioxidants and Vitamin C with red peppers having twice the content of Vitamin C than green peppers.
- Portobello Mushrooms: Portobello Mushrooms are loaded with Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron, dietary fibers and Potassium. These mushrooms are usually as large as 4 inches in diameter and are known for the proper balance of proteins and carbohydrates and also for being low in fat. These make up for a healthy side dish to contribute to the recommended intake of protein in both men and women along with presence of phosphorous and sodium. Phosphorous assist in bone strengthening and sodium keeps the blood pressure in check.
- Carrots: Mostly, carrots are widely known to help improve eye health and vision aided by the presence and effect of the antioxidant, Lutein. Carrots are also low in calories, a good source of fiber and loaded with Vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Vitamin B6. The provision of minerals and vitamins in carrots also help in reducing cholesterol and signs of premature ageing. It is also known to detoxify the body, boost the immune system and improve digestion.
- Spinach: Spinach is an important addition in the nutritious salad nowadays. This is also an important nutritious vegetable because of being an electric powerhouse package of Vitamins such as A, C, E and K along with Vitamin B2 and B6. It is also rich in iron, antioxidant –Lutein, phosphorous, copper, folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, niacin, selenium, protein, zinc, potassium, calcium, manganese and magnesium.
Therefore, the above listed vegetables will facilitate healthy living and the fact that it is incredibly easy to grow them in your home garden makes it more accessible and affordable.